Calorie counting is a great tool for weight loss. It can be an eye opening experience to track not only what you’re eating, but how much you’re eating. Calorie counting can be a great way to stay on course with your daily caloric intake and weight loss goals.
Calorie Counting Consists of Three Components
• Identifying how many calories you need to consume in a day.
• Tracking what foods, and how many calories you are consuming.
• Journaling of how many calories you are consuming versus how many calories you are burning .
Calorie Counting is Beneficial For Weight Loss
• Creates accountability.
• Helps identify amount of essential nutrients consumed.
• Creates awareness of overeating, and emotional eating, and encourages intuitive eating .
• Helps to identify how many calories are really needed.
• Can create healthy patterns of physical exercise
Free Calorie Counting Tools
You can keep track of what and how many calories you’re consuming each day in a notebook or a journal.
My Fitness Pal
Available online, or as a smartphone app. Enjoy a sense of community by joining MyFitnessPal, that houses a calorie database with over 5 million foods that you can search and add to your daily journal. Can also track water intake, steps, and physical exercise.
Available online, or as a smartphone app. SparkPeople will help you set goals for tracking your food and fitness. You can scan barcodes on food items to find the calories, as well as watch exercise demonstration videos to find what fits you.
My Calorie Counter
My Calorie Counter is a free online diet and exercise journal that allows you to track your nutrient intake and determine the calories you burn during exercise.
For more weight management and nutrition information, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.